Mildly sweet oro blanco grapefruit and luscious blood oranges and are paired with peppery arugula, tiny pearls of quinoa, creamy avocado and crunchy walnuts for a simple, healthy and delicious salad. It doesn’t get more “California” than this!
- 1 cup cooked and cooled quinoa
- 2 medium blood oranges
- 1 oro blanco grapefruit
- 1 avocado
- 2 cups arugula, washed and dried
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, lightly toasted
- ¼ cup torn mint leaves
- pinch of sea salt
- Using a sharp knife, slice the ends from the citrus fruit, then slice down the sides to completely remove the peel and any pith.
- Segment the citrus over a large bowl to catch the juices (this will become the dressing) and drop the segments into the same bowl.
- Add the quinoa to the bowl; it will soak up a bit of the liquid. Then add the arugula and toss well.
- Chop the avocado into bite-sized chunks and toss with the citrusy salad.
- Spread the salad onto a plate or serving platter, and scatter with walnuts, mint leaves and sea salt. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from: The Muffin Myth