Lacey Mackey CD(DONA), CLEC, BS
I am a DONA International Certified Birth Doula, UCSD Certified Lactation Educator Counselor and ICEA Trained Childbirth Educator serving women and families in the greater Los Angeles area. My passion for holistic wellness combined with the desire to nurture women and help them reclaim their births inspired me to become a doula.
Doulas are birth professionals who understand the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor. Doulas are respected and recognized among doctors, midwives, nurses and other professionals as valued members of the birth team.
Childbirth is a sacred and transformative event that is imprinted on a woman’s life forever. Birth sociologist Barbara Katz Rothman says, “Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers – strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.” I am passionate about guiding women to embrace the interconnection between mind, body, and spirit, nourishing all aspects of the childbearing year and transitioning into motherhood with confidence.
Whether it’s the birth of the first baby or fourth, many women and their partners find enormous reassurance in having a doula by their side. Research has found that women who have one-on-one professional labor support tend to have fewer unnecessary medical interventions, shorter labors, increased infant bonding and positive breastfeeding outcomes. Mothers who have this type of support in labor also produce lower levels of stress hormones, decreased instances of postpartum anxiety/depression and greater birth satisfaction than women left alone or attended by inexperienced coaches.
I am committed to providing non-judgmental support to mothers and families in their individual and unique journeys. I am passionate about helping parents explore and articulate their preferences by providing evidence-based information so the best possible choices can be made for their families.
As a proud member of DONA International and the Doulas Association of Southern California, I am actively involved in the Los Angeles birth community and continue to expand my training and education with renowned childbirth educators such as Ana Paula Markel, Penny Simkin, Barbara Harper, Dr. Michel Odent and Dr. Sarah Buckley.
Birth doula services include:
- One complimentary, no obligation in-person or phone consultation to see if we are a good fit.
- Two scheduled prenatal visits to discuss your birth vision and preferences, how we can work together to achieve your goals, comfort techniques during labor, and questions and concerns.
- Additional meetings upon request such as a one on one meeting with mother-to-be. If you have a care provider I have not yet worked with, I am happy to attend a prenatal visit with you to meet him or her.
- Assistance in creating your birth plan.
- Access to lending library of birth and breastfeeding related books and videos.
- Informational emails on topics related to pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding and newborn care.
- Unlimited support via phone, text or email before, during and after your birth.
- Referrals to prenatal practitioners.
- On-call 24/7 beginning two weeks before your guesstimated due date and continuing until your baby’s birth day.
- Continuous labor support at home, hospital or birth center.
- Comfort measures such as breathing, massage, aromatherapy, changing positions and counter-pressure.
- Explanation of any proposed interventions to allow parents to make informed, consented decisions.
- Support for partner in supporting the laboring mother at his or her own comfort level.
- Attendance at cesarean birth if needed/chosen and approved by medical staff.
- Labor and birth photography (optional).
- Help establishing initial breastfeeding and bonding between mother and baby immediately after the birth.
- Reassurance of a back-up doula who I feel will be a good fit for you in the very rare instance that it becomes necessary.
- One postpartum visit within the first 1-4 weeks (at your request and convenience) to reflect on the birth, observe a breastfeeding session, address any concerns, receive feedback, provide referrals if needed.
- Postpartum follow up via phone/text/email for any questions or concerns and provide referrals if needed.
As a birth doula, I do not:
- Perform any clinical tasks including cervical exams, fetal heart rate monitoring, take temperatures or blood pressure readings.
- Make decisions for my clients. I will provide information needed in order for my clients to give informed consent or refusal regarding care.
- Speak to medical personnel on my client’s behalf. It is my goal to empower my clients by helping them find their voice regarding their care. For this reason, I encourage a woman and her partner to speak directly to their care provider when expressing their birthing preferences.
- Interfere with my client’s partner during labor and birth, although I am happy to offer information, advice and techniques for him or her to utilize at his or her own level of comfort.
- Project any of my own beliefs onto my client’s experience. I have the desire to help clients reach their birthing goals no matter what those goals may be. I will support my birth clients in the decisions that they feel are best for them and their family.
Please contact me regarding fees. Half of my fee is due to retain my services and secure your due date. The remainder is due by the final prenatal visit or 38 weeks. I truly believe that every woman who wants a doula should have one. Payment plans and sliding scales may be available. Some clients have been reimbursed for doula services, up to 70% of the fee paid. I will provide an invoice which can be submitted to your insurance company after the birth.
“…Finding Lacey was the greatest gift fate could have sent us. She has a deep knowledge base and exudes a strong self confident understanding through her own experience as a mother. When things got down to the wire she went from a calming peaceful caregiver to a strong active member of our birth team. She brought so much more to the table than what I expected from a doula. We would not have wanted to do this without her…” – Brooke H.
“…Lacey was so non-judgmental from the start. She supported whatever decisions I had already made, and helped me navigate the ones I had yet to make. She’s very nurturing and comforting and explained to me what was happening at each point and that is so helpful. My husband and I are so grateful to Lacey for keeping our delivery room a calm and focused place…” – Susan B.
“…When we decided to have our second baby, I knew I definitely wanted to try for a VBAC. I truly believe that having Lacey as my doula was instrumental in helping me to achieve that goal. It isn’t something so easily put into words what and how Lacey helped us, but she really went above and beyond her call of duty. She gave tremendous love and support throughout the entire birth experience and we are truly grateful for helping us have such a positive experience…” – Ashley J.
“…From the moment we met Lacey we felt so comfortable with her. Lacey went above and beyond throughout my entire pregnancy. She gave me detailed information so I could make the best possible choices and is not the type of doula to pressure you into ANYTHING. She never made me feel like it was a wrong or “less-than” decision. We became so close during the 7 months we had her as our doula that I now consider her a friend! What more could you want for such a personal experience? Lacey has a 6th sense for childbirth. She knew just how much to “be there” and when to step back and let my husband and I have our moments. I’ve referred her to a few of my friends and all of them have ended up hiring her!” – Jenna B.
If you have any questions or would like more information about my services or fees, please feel free to contact me using the form provided below. Due to the nature of my work it may take me up to 24 hours to return your email. Thank you!