Welcome! I am a DONA trained birth doula attending births in the greater Los Angeles and surrounding areas.
As a birth doula, I provide continuous physical, emotional and informational support before, during and after birth.
My services are available to all mothers and partners planning a vaginal birth, cesarean birth, or VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) whether at home, at a birth center, or at a hospital. I believe that every woman should feel respected, supported and empowered during her labor and birthing experience, in whatever location and with whatever care team helps her feel most comfortable.
Each laboring couple has different desires and needs. I am passionate about helping parents explore and articulate their preferences, encouraging them to communicate those wishes to their care team, and helping them experience a beautiful birth.
My services include:
- A complimentary initial phone interview.
- One to two scheduled in-person prenatal visits.
- Accompany you to a prenatal visit with your care provider (optional).
- Assistance with birth plan/wishes.
- Assistance with breastfeeding plan.
- Access to resources and lending library of birth and breastfeeding related books and videos.
- Available by phone and/or email for support and to answer questions.
- Discounted rate on Childbirth &/or Breastfeeding Classes.
- Mother Blessing Ceremony (optional for an additional fee).
- On-call 24/7 starting at 38 weeks.
Labor & Birth
- Continuous informational, emotional and physical support before, during and after birth.
- Will join you in labor whenever you feel the need for my support.
- Non-judgmental support from a professional care provider who understands and trusts the birth process.
- Helping to create a calm, peaceful and supportive birthing environment for mother, partner and baby.
- Explanation of any proposed interventions so birthing parents can give informed consent.
- Comfort techniques including hot and cold compresses, changes in position, movement, massage, use of a birth ball, counter-pressure, rebozo, relaxation, visualization, aromatherapy, breathing and more.
- Support of birth partner so he or she may in turn support and encourage the birthing mother.
- Breastfeeding support and assistance. I am a Certified Lactation Educator & Counselor. As part of my doula package I will provide information during prenatal appointments, help establish breastfeeding in the first hour after birth and provide an evaluation at the postpartum appointment. If further assistance is needed, home visits can be scheduled at a discounted rate. Please click here for more information.
- One scheduled postpartum visit within two weeks to review the birth, answer questions, provide a breastfeeding evaluation, and to admire your new babe and present him or her with a gift : )
- Continued phone and email support.
- Discounted rate on Breastfeeding Counseling (going back to work or school, etc).
Fee: My current package is $750.
Proven Benefits of Doula Care:
Decreased medical intervention in labor*:
- Reduced cesarean rate by 26%
- Reduces length of labor by 25%
- Reduces use of artificial oxytocin to speed up labor by 40%
- Reduces pain medication use by 30%
- Reduces forceps and vacuum extractor deliveries by 41%
- Reduces epidural requests by 60%
6 weeks after birth, mothers who had doulas were**:
- Less anxious and depressed
- More confident in mothering
- Less likely to be dissatisfied or negatively rate their birth experience by 33%
- More satisfied with partner (71% vs 30%)
- More likely to be breastfeeding (52% vs 29%)
*These statistics appear in “A Doula Makes A Difference” by Karen Nugent in Mothering Magazine. For more information about the research, click here.
**Study cited in “The Doula” by Marshall Klaus in Childbirth Instructor Magazine
Because I take a limited number of clients a month, please contact me to discuss availability around your due date. If I am already scheduled then I am happy to refer you to other doulas in the area.
For more information please see Birth Doula FAQ or contact me using the form below. Thanks for visiting! ♥