These sweet lemony treats are the perfect canvas for a beautiful collection of natural superfood ingredients like chia seeds, dates, oats and coconut.
Chia seeds are an excellent source of healthy essential fatty acids containing eight times more omega-3 fatty acids than salmon! Chia seeds are also one of the most digestible plant proteins, an excellent source of dietary fiber, and a powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and free-radical fighting antioxidants.
I keep some of these
breakfast anytime bars in my doula bag for an instant boost of lasting energy and when on-the-go with the kids to smooth over the hungries. Ben especially loves his favorite lemon fruit spread on top.
- 1½ Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- ¾ cup + 2 Tbsp shredded dried coconut, divided
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup soft Medjool dates (about 5 or 6), pits removed
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease a 8×8-inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and chia seeds. Set aside for 20 minutes to allow the chia seeds to become saturated and bulk up, stirring once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the oat flour, baking powder, salt, and ¾ cup coconut flakes. Sprinkle in the lemon zest and mix again until distributed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut oil, apple sauce, and maple syrup. Mix in the soaked chia seeds. Chop the pitted Medjool dates finely, and mix in with the other wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir until blended. Spread the mixture into the prepared baking pan, and use a spatula to flatten out the surface. Sprinkle remaining 2 Tbsp coconut on top, patting them down lightly into the mixture.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, until edges begin to turn golden brown. While warm, cut into squares. The recipe calls for 12-16 bars, but I prefer cutting them into bite-sized one-inch squares.
Recipe via Superfood Kitchen