This dreamy mixed berry parfait has quickly become one of our family’s favorite treats. Blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries are nestled between luxurious layers of whipped coconut cream and crunchy clusters of granola. You can either make your own granola or if you’re in a jiffy, try Nature’s Path Summer Berries Granola or Purely Elizabeth Blueberry Hemp Ancient Grain Granola which are both gluten-free and delicious.
The darling of this recipe is the whipped coconut cream, of course. If you’ve never had it, your mind is about to be blown. It’s better than any whipped cream you have ever tasted, dairy and non-dairy alike. It’s also the perfect topping on pie, hot cocoa, french toast… you get the idea.
- 14 ounces full-fat coconut milk. (I like Native Forest BPA-Free Organic Coconut Cream and AROY-D 100% Pure Coconut Cream)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Place a medium bowl (glass, metal, or ceramic are all fine) and beaters of an electric hand mixer in the freezer to chill.
- Refrigerate coconut milk, in the unopened can, for at least an hour, or freeze for about 20 minutes. Be careful not to agitate the can too much as you do this; you want the fattier “cream” to rise to the top, leaving thinner coconut liquid underneath, and shaking it will prevent this.
- Remove from refrigerator or freezer, and carefully open the can. Using a small spoon, slowly skim the cream from the top, and transfer to the chilled bowl. You should get about half the can before the thin liquid appears underneath; try not to include any of this. Reserve remaining coconut milk for another use (it’s wonderful in smoothies).
- Add maple syrup and vanilla, and begin whisking with the chilled beaters of an electric hand mixer. The cream is done when it thickens and soft peaks form when a beater is lifted. Stiff peaks may be achieved if the coconut milk is particularly high-fat, but don’t whip the cream so long that it warms and begins to liquify.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours before serving, whisking briefly before using. will keep in the refrigerator up to a week.
To Assemble the Parfaits ~
Kids love this part! In small glass bowls or jars, layer a mixture of the berries and top with granola and a dollop of whipped coconut cream. Repeat once more and garnish with fresh berries and a sprinkle of granola or chia seeds on top. Serve immediately.