Antibiotics are a commonly prescribed conventional treatment for ear infections but can actually contribute to recurring ear infections by wiping out good bacteria, which helps keep the body healthy and immune system strong. Additionally, antibiotics are not always effective. A study published in the British Medical Journal found that children who were given antibiotics for ear infections fared no differently than children given a placebo. In fact, the AAP just rolled out new guidelines which will result in less antibiotic prescriptions, so if you want to try a natural remedy to relieve ear aches and infection, this post is for you!
- 1 clove of garlic, minced*
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
*To unlock the healing powers of garlic, it must sit for 10 minutes after mincing and before preparing, cooking or eating. This allows the antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of alliicin to form.
- Warm olive oil slightly over low heat in small sauce pan.
- Remove olive oil from heat and add minced garlic.
- Cover and allow olive oil and garlic to steep for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain the tiny bits of garlic out and allow to cool to body temperature.
- Have your child lay on his side with the affected ear facing up.
- Administer 2-3 drops of the oil in the ear every 4 hours.
Tip: To help the oil reach the eardrum and begin the process of lymphatic drainage, grasp the lower part of the ear and begin stretching and gently massaging it. This will also help to reduce swelling and inflammation and promote pain relief and healing. Warm heat is also very effective in reducing ear ache pain and works very well in conjunction with the garlic oil remedy. Gently warm a small cloth bag or sock filled with rice or flaxseeds and lay directly over the ear.
Note: If you suspect a punctured or ruptured eardrum do not administer anything in the ear. Please consult your health care provider before using herbal remedies.