Old fashioned pinecone bird feeders are fun, easy to create and you probably have most of the ingredients on hand:
- Nut butter (Omit if anyone has a nut sensitivity or allergy)
- Ghee or butter
- Finely chopped nuts, seeds, dried fruit
- Tie a piece of string around the pinecone. This is a great way to re-use ribbon, twine or jute.
- Mix together equal parts nut butter and ghee. Thoroughly spread the mixture over the pinecone.
- Roll the pinecone in the mixture of nuts, seeds and dried fruit.
- Hang it on your favorite tree or where the birds will find it.
- Watch for feathered friends to visit!
To keep the birds coming back to your spot, keep the following tips from the National Audubon Society in mind:
- Provide birds with a variety of quality seed.
- Provide fresh water for drinking and bathing.
- Give the feeder ample cover, preferably provided by native plants. Native plants also provide potential nesting sites and a source of natural food.