Old-fashioned DIY pinecone bird feeders are a fun and easy craft that kids love and you probably have most of the materials on hand.
- Pinecones (look for ones that are opened up)
- Smooth nut butter (Omit if anyone has a nut sensitivity or allergy)
- Ghee or butter
- Birdseed or a mixture of finely chopped nuts, seeds & dried fruit
- Tie a piece of string around the pinecone. This is a great way to re-use ribbon, twine or jute.
- Mix together equal parts nut butter and ghee. Spread over the pinecone thoroughly.
- Roll the pinecone in the birdseed or mixture of nuts, seeds and dried fruit.
- Hang on your favorite tree or where the birds will find it.
- Watch for feathered friends to visit!
To keep birds coming back to your spot, follow these tips from the National Audubon Society:
- Provide birds with a variety of quality seed.
- Provide fresh water for drinking and bathing.
- Give the feeder ample cover, preferably provided by native plants. Native plants also provide potential nesting sites and a source of natural food.