These gluten-free cookies are fabulously nutty and have a toasty, espresso-like flavor. Just another wholesome yet delicious recipe from The Sprouted Kitchen that will please even the most discerning ‘lil cookie lover. Enjoy with a cold glass of your favorite kind of milk!
- 1 1/4 cups almond meal
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs (omit for lil babes)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup muscovado sugar
- 1 egg*
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
*For vegan, use Ener-G egg replacer or a mixture of 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed (flax meal) and 3 tablespoons of water.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the almond meal, cacao nibs, coconut, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In another bowl, beat the egg very well until it is a uniform color and doubles in volume. Whisk in the coconut oil and vanilla extract. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Put the bowl in the fridge and chill for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Using your hands, roll the chilled dough into balls no larger than 1 inch in diameter and place on a baking sheet with 1 1/2-inch space, giving them a gentle press on the tops to flatten just a bit. (Note: Don’t use a nonstick baking mat or parchment paper, as the bit of crust on the bottom of each cookie helps keep the delicate treats together.)
- Bake until the edges just begin to brown, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.