Judah’s favorite food is oatmeal and his favorite fruit is blueberries, so this dish is always a win. I make it ahead of time so it can be warmed up over the stove in a jiffy.
- 2 cups old fashioned gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted and chopped
- 1/3 cup maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 1 large egg or Ener-G egg replacer
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 375°F with a rack in the top third of the oven.
- Generously coat the inside of an 8-inch square baking dish with butter or coconut oil.
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, half the walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, milk, egg, butter or coconut oil and vanilla.
- Arrange 2/3 of the blueberries in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish and cover with the oat mixture. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the oats. Gently give the baking dish a couple thwacks on the countertop to make sure the milk moves through the oats. Scatter the remaining berries and walnuts across the top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is nicely golden and the oat mixture has set. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- If desired, splash a bit of milk on top and drizzle with maple syrup.
Recipe adapted from Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen by Heidi Swanson. The original recipe can be seen at Lottie + Doof.