Creamy oats sweetened with dates and served over a baked cinnamon apples makes this the perfect lazy weekend breakfast.
- 2 tart or sweet apples, peeled, cored and evenly sliced
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk of choice
- pinch salt
- 4 dates, finely chopped
- pecans or walnuts to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss apples with lemon juice, cinnamon and honey. Bake for 5 minutes on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Stir them around and then roll over parchment paper and tuck it in so they’re in a “pocket” to trap in moisture. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until soft and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over high heat, add oats, a pinch of salt, water, almond milk and stir. Bring to a boil and reduce to low-medium heat and cook until thick and creamy. Add the chopped dates a few minutes after reducing the heat so they soften and sweeten the oats.
- Once thick, remove from stove top. Add a little almond milk if it’s too thick for your liking.
- Arrange 1/3 cup baked apples in bottom of a serving bowl and top with oats. Sprinkle with nuts and cinnamon.
Recipe credit: Minimalist Baker