This is my healthier take on a classic Fall favorite that will fill your home with an intoxicating aroma of warm spices. It’s delicious fresh from the oven but I think it tastes even better the next day!
- 1 3/4 cups mashed pumpkin (or 15 oz canned pumpkin purée)
- 4 eggs (or Ener-G egg substitute)
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 2/3 cup filtered water
- 3 cups sugar (I use a blend of cane, coconut palm and muscavado sugars)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour of choice (GF, sprouted whole wheat, coconut, etc)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare three loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin, eggs, apple sauce, water and sugar until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended.
- Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 50 minutes.