These are my top 10 selections for the most unique, handcrafted, eco-friendly, non-toxic, fair trade, natural and imaginative children’s gifts of the season! Shop consciously and support these naturally minded small businesses and work-at-home families. If you’ve read my post on Creating an Inspiring Playspace, then you know that our family prefers fewer amount of toys that are higher quality. Here are my faves for 2012:1. Padraig Cottage Wool Slippers Made by hand with the finest natural materials, these adorable slippers keep feeties cozy & warm. They are light and flexible, wash well and are available in a variety of colors and sizes for the whole family. Price: $24.99 & up Where to buy: Padraig Cottage 2. Incan Drum Each side of this Peruvian drum produces a different tone. Made of oak, pine, cedar and walnut woods. The colorful head of the beater and the webbing are handmade.
Price: $39.00 Where to buy: Nova Natural
3. Play Silks One of the best toys, ever! These all natural, plant dyed silks are rich in color and allow children to create anything they can imagine… blankets, capes, curtains, doll carriers, costumes, flags, walls for forts and so much more! Price: $15.00 each Where to Buy: Finns and Flowers
4. Canvas Teepee A perfectly cozy hideaway! Kids love their own space to enjoy books, arts, naps and play. Made of hand carved Douglas Fir wood pole framing and topped with an unbleached cotton canvas tarp that is conveniently removable for wash. The frame is easily collapsable for storing or transporting. Price: $150.00 Where to Buy: House In Habit
5. Aromatic Play Clay Mama K’s 100% natural award-winning modeling clay is made using only certified gluten-free flours and organic essential oils. This clay uses subtle aromatherapy scents to soothe (lavender), uplift (sweet orange), ease anxiety (bergamot), inspire (lemongrass), balance (geranium), refresh (cardamom), and relax (chamomile). Price: $15.00 Where to Buy: Nest
6. Cherry Wood Toy Pick Up Truck A smart little pickup truck will haul lots of treasures – blocks, wooden acorns, felt farm animals and more! Designed with a vintage appeal and sized just right – not too small nor too big. Price: $16.99 Where to Buy: Palumba 7. Block Crayons Stockmar’s sweet smelling beeswax crayons are made with non-toxic pigments that deliver pure, brilliant colors and don’t rub off on hands. Thicker than typical crayons, they have a better resistance to breaking, and are a better fit for smaller hands. Price: $21.00, tin of 16 Where to Buy: The Blue Ladybug
8. Four Seasons Board Books Gerda Muller’s charming seasonal picture board books beautifully illustrate children engaging in a variety of seasonal activities. These board books have no words, which allows adults and children to use their imaginations and narrate their own stories. Price: $37.95, set of 4, Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter. (Summer illustration pictured below) Where to Buy: Bella Luna Toys
9. Wooden Tops A modern spin on an ancient toy that provide endless hours of fascination. Handcrafted in limited quantities in Austria, these wooden spinning tops are so beautifully balanced, they spin for minutes at a time. The simple, yet colorful pastel design attracts even the littlest of fingers. Price: $8.95 Where to Buy: Nest
10. Rag Dolls Simple, classic, and sweet these heirloom-quality cloth dolls are custom made with recycled cotton scrap fabric. The simple and somewhat imperfect nature of these dolls gives them the feel of antique cloth dolls loved and cherished for generations… the good ole’ days before plastics were even invented. Price: $49.00 Where to Buy: The Busl Barn
What are your favorite holiday toys and gifts? Please share by leaving a comment below!